Desi Pound cake a.k.a. Ghee cake

Going for vaccations to my mum's place was always fun.Coming back, we used to buy eatables for giving away to our neighbours and friends. These eatables would be the local speciality from there. One such Item always on the list was a Ghee Cake. Me and my brothers would love even the thought of taking the cake  home because when we take, it would be 3-4 cakes :)


The taste of the ghee cake always intrigued me. The amazing flavour of Ghee (Clarified Butter) and the subtle taste of milk powder mmmm. I am already drooling over the thought of it.

It is when I started baking cakes that I thought of trying to make this. Then began my search and I knew I will not find any cake that is made using Clarified Butter. I then found myself searching for cake that has got buttery taste to it with lots of butter and there my search ended with pound cake.

Pound cakes were earlier made with a pound of Butter, a pound of flour, a pound of sugar and a pound of eggs thus, derived its name.Gradually, the recipe evolved but the richness in the cake stayed the same.

Here I will share the recipe of a pound cake where in, I substituted the butter for  Ghee (Clarified Butter) with a few modifications in the ingredients. Hope you too will enjoy it. Do Leave your comments if you try out the recipe. It is a great encouragement to keep going.

so here we get started

The recipe gives you one 8" Cake. You can also use a loaf tin.

Ingredients:

3 Large eggs
3/4 Cup of Sugar
1 Cup Ghee (Clarified butter)
3 tbsps Milk
1 1/2 Cups of sifted Cake Flour
1/4 Cup of good quality Milk Powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp of vanilla essence / extract

Method:

Preheat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F).

In a bowl sift all the dry ingredients with the help of a whisk , including the sugar. Mix these really well.

In another bowl, Whisk eggs, Milk and Vanilla essence/ extract.

To the bowl of the dry ingredients add in the Ghee and half of the egg mixture.Mix just until the ingredients are moistened. Increase the speed of the mixer and beat well for a minute. Gradually add the remaining of the egg mixture in two additions and beating well in between each addition.

Pour the batter into a greased 8" tin and pop it into the oven. Bake it for about 50 - 55 mins. To stop much browning on the top cover the tin with aluminium foil after 30 mins.

Transfer to a wire rack. Serve it with tea or just eat big bites of the cake like I do :)

Enjoy!!!! 

Comments

Popular Posts